The Club was founded in 1882 by residents of summer homes in the popular holiday area of Howth. Under the name of Howth Lawn Tennis Club, it was sited on Balkill Road in Howth, on land now occupied by Beann Eadair Gaelic Club.
After World War 1 the Club’s fortune’s waned a little as the social mix of tennis playing membership re-aligned in the new Irish state. Its beautiful but remote location in Howth at the time was finally abandoned in 1941, in favour of its present site in Sutton. In 1958 the name was changed to avoid confusion to visitors.
The Club experienced a difficult period in the 1950s but the population growth arising from the spread of the city led to a spectacular surge in membership from the 1960s onwards.
The Club now operates at the highest levels in tennis and squash and has won all the major honours in both games.
The present Clubhouse was built in 1974 when squash was also introduced. The Clubhouse was extended in 1981 when another squash court and a function area were added and again in 1989 when the gym, junior room and snooker room were built. Further internal improvements were carried out in 1997. Work is now underway to complete a new Gym & Fitness Centre at the Club.